Alicia Riaño revealed in a study across the League that as
expected, the Argentine and Portuguese stars step the most shirts
across the country, behind only Spain’s national team shirts.
Behind Ronaldo at Real Madrid is Mesut Ozil and then Ricky Kaka,
whilst Messi is followed by David Villa, Andres Iniesta and Xavi
Hernandez in terms of Barcelona shirt sales.
Club by club proves interesting. Javi Martinez and Fernando
Llorente are the most popular for Athletic Bilbao fans to put on
their back, whilst at Atletico Madrid Diego and Radamel Falcao
account for 60% of shirt sales at their club this summer. Roque Santa
Cruz and Javier Matilla are reportedly neck and neck as the most
popular at Real Betis, but Ruben Castro is proving performances can
affect things, reportedly pushing up his shirt sales to a close third
Joint top of the League, the player selling the most shirts at
Levante is 36-year-old centre-back Sergio Ballesteros. Rivals
Valencia place Roberto Soldado top of the pile, with new faces Pablo
Piatti and Sergio Canales next in their list. Villarreal have
confirmed 49% of their shirts are sold with a custom name and number
on the back, and that of the remaining 51%, just over half choose
Giuseppe Rossi’s No 22 shirt. Cani and Nilmar account for the next
Pedro Leon holds 40% of player-specific shirt sales at Getafe
whilst Michu and Piti are the most-loved across town at Rayo
Vallecano. However, at Rayo the majority of shirt sales are
customised name and numbers, as is also the case at Zaragoza where
75% are customised. Of the remaining 25%, Angel Lafita and Luis
Garcia are joint most popular.
Malaga list Santi Cazorla, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Julio Baptista
in that order whilst Sevilla have Freddie Kanoute and Alvaro Negredo
top of their list. Fellow Andalusian side Granada do not have numbers
as there has been a delay in distributing their shirt across the
The players only reportedly had the new shirt to wear at the start
of the season a matter of hours before they kicked off their first
game. Sporting Gijon also do not yet have this season’s shirts on
sale for a similar reason.
Kike Sola and Raul Garcia account for 55% of Osasuna’s total
shirt sales whilst Pedro Munitis holds 35% of Racing Santander’s
shirt sales and Antoine Griezmann takes the accolade at Real
Espanyol list late captain Dani Jarque as by far their most
popular name and number, with the No 21 shirt shifting 40% of the
club’s shirt sales.
Perhaps most surprising is that in Mallorca the most popular name
to have adorned the backs of their fans’ shirts – at least until
recently – was Michael Laudrup’s.